Freelancer 101:A Complete Guide For Having A Successful Freelance Career
Published on 2020-11-03 by Ching Chieh Li.
The labor market changes rapidly with time. Besides the traditional 9-5 workforce, we have outside professional advisors, short-term workers, and freelancers in the labor market. More and more companies work with freelancers to work more effectively. As a freelancer, you work with different clients regardless of geographic boundaries. If you wish to start a side job, work more flexibly, or just want to know more before accepting the freelance job offer. Here is the ultimate guide for people who want to start freelancing. You are on the way to be a successful freelancer after reading this blog.
What is a freelancer?
A freelancer is a person who works with different clients from a local client and international cooperation. They have the option to choose the projects and arranges the workflow as they prefer without any specific requirements. You do not need to finish certain classes or hold a particular diploma to work as a freelancer. Freelancers have a broad category to choose from. The most common types of works are copywriting, programming, translations, and marketing. It is up to you to choose the type of work. You can start by browsing the job category and check what kinds of freelancers they are looking for.
Can I work as a freelancer even though I have a full-time job?
Yes, you can. You do not need to choose between a full-time job or freelance work. A full-time job can be perfectly combined with a freelance project. As long as the freelance project does not go against any regulation of the full-time job. For instance, some companies may have additional regulations, like the employer cannot work with the competitors.
Identify your motivation
Before we dive into the freelance world, let’s identify the motivation. Motivation can help you stay strong in difficult times like finding a new client, spending extra hours at work. What are the main reasons for you to join the freelance community? Let’s take a piece of paper and write down the motivation. The reasons can be various such as finding the real career interest, flexible working schedule, or working for yourself. You add the 42% chance to achieve your goal by writing it down. This small piece of paper will keep up during hard times.
Walk toward your goal
Once you have the motivation, we can start to walk toward your goal. You can take a paper and write down the goals. You add 42% of the chance to achieve the goals by writing it down. The goals in 5 years look so unachievable but everything starts with a small step. You can start to work on small things. Taking small steps can make a huge difference.
- What do you want to achieve in 5 years?
- To achieve those goals in 5 years, what you must do by the end of the year?
- Look at the lists and which one you can work on this week?
Find your perfect spot
Freelancers can choose a lot of projects. Start from web design, IT, Marketing, and more. What kinds of projects interest you the most? The options may be too wide to choose from. We can start from the general aspect then narrow it down to a specific type of work. Let’s take marketing as an example. There is a lot of work in the marketing field. You can check more information if you are interested in one of the following aspects:
- Social media management: Do you like to use social media? Do you feel fulfilled by building a connection with people? Then you can help companies to manage their social media.
- Content Marketing: Do you enjoy writing? You can help companies have engagement content on their website, social media.
- Email marketing: Some businesses need to send the newsletter to their users. You can design the newsletter and follow the process.
Build your portfolio
Once you choose the type of field, you would like to work in. We can start to build your portfolio. A potential client would like to know your capability before starting working. Then usually, he/she will ask for your portfolio. Every freelancer knows the importance of having a professional portfolio. Your freelance portfolio is your professional business card. It may be hard to have a lot of work when you just start to work as a freelancer. Keep in mind that the quality is more important than the quantity
Send a professional proposal to a client
Once you have a professional portfolio, you are ready to meet the potential client. The first impression is very important. You only have 7 seconds to make a good impression. The professional proposal needs to contain important elements such as the relative experience, estimated time for finishing the project, and so on.
Use the right tool for your work
The right tool saves time and makes your work more effective. If you would like to know more about the tools, please click here.
- Trello: Trello is a project management tool. You can use it to manage the process for each project. Moreover, you can also share the boards with the client. So, the client can check the process directly without asking you.
- WeTransfer: Finally finish the project but the file just too large? With Wetransfer, you can upload the file and send the link to the client directly. Moreover, the system will delete the file automatically.
- Krisp: It is hard to find a perfect spot with a stable internet connection and without any background noise. Krisp removes the background noise during online meetings.
It takes time and effort to be a successful freelancer. You can walk through a hard time with motivation. Find your favorite spot and start to walk toward it. You are on the way to be a successful freelancer.