The Ultimate Guide For Relocating As A Freelancer In 2021
Published on 2021-06-10 by Ching Chieh Li.
When you work from home, every day feels the same. With the same routine-eating, working, and take a break. How about trying a different lifestyle? 10. 9 million in the U.S. relate themselves as digital nomads-people who work remotely and travel around different locations. As an independent contractor, you can work from anywhere with your computer and the internet. Here is an ultimate guide for freelancers who plan to move to a new city or overseas. We provide every essential information from the best cities to the tax in the guide. You are ready to go after reading this article.
Best city for relocate
Since you will work during traveling, the destination should have a stable internet connection for working. Some countries have stable internet connections but require a work permit for performing any type of work. InsureMyTrip researches the best countries for digital nomads among the fields of digital nomad visa, stable internet, and acceptance of digital nomads. Here are the top 5 countries with the best opportunities for digital nomad
- Norway offers several ways for the digital nomad to live in Norway. If people plan to live in the Svalbard area, they do not even need to have a visa.
- Mexico offers 6 months digital nomad visa, affordable living expenses, and several coworking spaces.
- Germany is a dream destination for freelancers and digital nomads. If you meet the requirements, you can stay in Germany for up to 3 years.
- Portugal has a stable internet connection, and you can enjoy nature after work.
- Iceland offers a digital nomad visa for up to 6 months, and you can even bring your family together with you.
Work legally in another country
Usually, you need to have a work permit or work visa to legally work in other countries. With the rising remote work trend, several countries such as Germany and Croatia also offer digital nomad visas. The digital nomad visa is not a traditional working visa as the freelancers do not need to have long-term job contracts with local clients. In simple, digital nomad allows professionals to travel in a longer period of time and work remotely. If you are an EU citizen and move to another EU country. Then you will not do not need any work permit besides register yourself in the local government office.
Apply for a digital nomad visa
The process and the length of a digital nomad visa are varied depends on the country. Generally, most countries require an application, bank statement, valid health insurance for applying for a digital nomad visa. Some countries have additional requirements such as registering with the local tax office like Germany. The length of the digital nomad visa usually lasts from 6 months to 1 year. You can click here to check the details required for EU countries.
Estimate the expense
While awaiting the visa, you can also find some information to estimate the expense. Here are several resources to estimate expenses.
- Life expense: Life expense is everything necessary for living and stays healthy, such as food, clothes, and more. You can also click here to check the cost of living in a certain area.
- House: As you need a new home to stay and work in for a short period of time. You can check the local house rental website, marketplace, local Facebook group for renting an apartment.
- Transportation: To explore the local area, the public transportation price also plays an essential role.
- Local coworking space: If you would like to network with more people, a coworking office is a good idea. You can check the price for renting a coworking space.
Know more about tax information
Since you live and work in other countries. Besides filling the tax form in your home country, then there is a possibility that you may need to fill the tax form in the resident country. We know how hard it is to go through different government offices when you do not speak the local language. If you have clients around the world, you can consider the countries such as Iceland and Estonia that offer tax exemption for digital nomads who leave within 6 months. We recommend you consult a professional account in advance. Also, it will be easier to check everything before leaving home as some offices require to send the form in person.
Move everything into the cloud
Since you can work everywhere, online tool is essential along the way. So, you can access the essential data anytime from anywhere. Useme is a central platform for freelancers to work with anyone around the world. Regardless of your location and legal status, we can send a VAT invoice to your client. Moreover, you can showcase the skill with an online portfolio and meet more clients on our site. With us, you have an online platform for signing the job contract, sending the VAT invoice, and meeting other professional workers.
As a freelance business owner, you can work from anywhere with anyone. Moving to a new place is exciting. With a digital nomad visa, you can work in different countries and enjoy the view after work. You can easily access the data and send the VAT invoice to the client with the online platform. Now you are ready to go and explore the world!